Thursday, April 06, 2006

Malaysian Hip Hop

   I can't remember the day when I start listen to Malaysian hip hop. BUT i think it all started in the year 1997 when Poetic Ammo released the album It's A Nice Day To Be Alive. I remember that I didn't want to buy it. I was under the inpression that it's a Punk genre album. Don't blame me. Check out the Landslyde's hairdo for the album cover. I finally bought it after listening to a few tracks at Cahaya Music, KOMTAR. Sad to say that their second album "The World is Yours" is a big dissapointment to me but the album "The Return of The Boombox" was good, typical hip hop album but sadly it was under-rated. I never expect that I meet will Point in person, but I did. I was extremely shocked and stood in awe when I saw him in person at AmCorp Mall. He is still my hero despite knowing and hearing some people dislikes him. Well, everyman is entitled to their own opinion.

P.S. Ayyo Point, like ya told me, I'm the 1st to kno that ya solo album coming. Dun chu make the fans wait too long.





Poetic Ammo



Poetic Ammo and Ammo Alliance



Poetic Ammo (Taken during Return Of The Boombox album release party)











   The year was 1997 (I think), I remembered I saw a performance of Too Phat at Bangsar. They were performing cover version of "My Name Is". I was amazed because I never knew anyone that time who listens to Eminem. Another reason, the amount of girls dancing while Too Phat performed. The next day I saw their picture appeard in The New Strait Times newspaper. Well what can I say about them? Would it be fair to say without them, hip hop genre wouldn't be so big without them? 1 thing gotta admit, I wasn't a real fan of Too Phat, the reason I went to the Joe Flizzow concert was to see Mizz Nina perform. I paid RM25 (I think)and Mizz Nina appeared like 3 minutes. But I made a new friend. I landed myself with a good job. I got to give them
propz for coming out with their own cap, KL cap. KL as in Kartel? KL as in Kuala Lumpur? I am not sure but does it matter? They started their own record label, Kartel Records.





Too Phat

Back then




Back then with Phat Family



Now (2006)








   Teh Tarik Crew? Hmmm... do sounds funny for a rap group. Don't you agree? I listened once to their EP "Are We Rapstars Now". I was like "This group is OK for a Malaysian rap/ hip hop group". I can't deny that the main reason I bought both their album is because I wanted Mizz Nina's picture that is in the album inlay. Could anyone forget that they once appeared in Ribena's television commercial? Or Mizz Nina in Mentos's commercial? Here's another wierd part, myself and 1 of the TTC member is a friend before we became colleagues now.




Teh Tarik Crew

Back then



Now














Here's a few question:

What happened to Muchachaz?

Will Northsyde come out with another radio single like Jendera?

Will Teh Tarik Crew come out with another album?

When will Mizz Nina's solo album will be released?

Will my group make it?

3 comments:

Wai Ling said...

Our local acts are not too bad. I listen to most of their tracks on the radio. However, one thing, you would stand strongly to disagree me I suppose, is that, I always feel, hip hop acts are never themselves. Probably, being Asian is such a vast difference with blacks. However, when we examine it on a deeper level, there's much to be studied on Hip Hop itself. Started out as music for the oppressed and then, as consumerism extended their clutch to its original makers, it's turned into a profit making commodity. That's why, it had lost its original essence. I had come pretty awesome readings on Rap and its beggining. Text me if you want it.

Wai Ling said...

Malaysian rock acts ROCK! I love Disagree BUT Indonesian bands ROCK even more!!!! CHeck out their music videos.....

sbd18 said...

point can't rap...sorry to say la bro...he was kinda off under poetic ammo...could be his accent...he shouldn't fake it...should keep true to his malaysian chinese self...